In New England and the northeastern United States, there is no shortage of old historic bridges. However, there is one bridge along the Sudbury River that not only leads to nowhere but people are not allowed on it entirely.
Constructed in the 1850s, Stone’s Bridge is named after historic resident Daniel Stone and not for its construction material. It was built to replace an old wooden bridge that had existed since the 1670s. This wooden bridge played a key role during the American Revolution as it was crossed by Henry Knox and the guns of Ticonderoga on his way to Cambridge to relieve General George Washington during the Siege of Boston.
The current stone bridge was mentioned by Henry David Thoreau in his diaries dated 1859. The bridge suffered significant flooding damage from Hurricane Diane in 1955. At that point, the bridge on the Framingham side was removed, and in 2012, engineers discovered the bridge was built without mortar and is entirely dry-laid stone. The structure was stabilized but public access to the bridge was blocked off.
Today, the bridge still stands extending from the Wayland side only partially crossing the Sudbury River while vines and vegetation slowly grow around it. It has become a popular spot for scenic photos and a location locals have become familiar with. Definitely worth a quick stop if you’re ever in the area.